Focus. Clarity. Vision. Personal wellness is a pillar of the conference theme. We encourage you to participate in these wellness components throughout the NODA Conference. These are great ideas for your wellness break each day or at the start or end of your day.
Download the free Healthy Minds Program App as a tool and resource to well-being. Our keynote speaker and workshop presenter on Thursday, October 29, are from Healthy Minds Innovations, a non-profit group that created this free app!
Wellness conference tips following the 8 Pillars of Holistic Health & Wellness
- Participate in our LIVE fitness classes with other NODA members.
- Barre Class – Wednesday, October 28th @ 8:00am CST
- HIIT Class – Thursday, October 29th @ 8:00am CST
- Participate in a pre-recorded yoga session with other NODA members.
- Run, walk, or ride the 5K distance for #NODAC2020 and share on your social media!
- Sleep, sleep, sleep!
- Keep your body well-fed during NODAC 2020! Have your favorite snacks handy next to your computer as you tune in for NODAC sessions.
- Hydration is key – drinking water helps with your energy levels and your brain's functions. Fill up your favorite cup, glass, or reusable bottle and have it with you during the virtual conference.
- Eat meals when you're hungry. Just like staying well-hydrated by drinking water, food will give you the energy and focus you need to watch and benefit from our virtual NODAC sessions.
- Start or continue to journal and map out your ambitions: Focus. Clarity. Vision. Use these guided questions from our Conference Chair, Eddie Higginbotham:
- What are you focused on or what do you need to be more focused on? How can you focus intently and deliberately on what’s most important to you and in your work in OTR?
- How can you gain more clarity in your intention? How can you strip everything of the in-essential and get down to the nitty gritty or roots of matters? How you can minimize “the noise,” – that is the drama, the politics, the naysayers, and the skeptics? Most importantly, how can you minimize the voice in your head that prevents clarity and confidence?
- What is your vision for yourself, your work, and your future? How can you use focus and clarity to bolster your success and remain centered on your vision and what you are here on this earth to do?
- Attend one of NODA’s affinity spaces to meet other fellow NODA members! Affinity Spaces #1 and #2 (hosted on Tuesday, October 27, from 3:00-4:00 p.m. CST and 4:10-5:10 p.m. CST, respectively) will be based around specific personal identities, and Affinity Space #3 (hosted on Thursday, October 29, from 4:30-5:30 p.m. CST) will be based around professional job duties. Affinity spaces are lightly facilitated roundtable discussions that offer you an opportunity to meet and connect with NODA members who have something in common with you. You’ll likely meet someone new and get the chance to make conference friends from afar!
- Join us for the NODAC 2020 Netflix watch party! Hosted on Wednesday, October 28, at 6:00 p.m. CST, NODA members will join in to watch a movie together from the comfort of your own home/office.
- Schedule a virtual happy hour with a NODA colleague. You may have just met this colleague through NODAC 2020, or you may have been attending NODACs with this colleague for decades - either way, send them a message and arrange for a virtual catch-up once one of our conference days wraps up!
- Take a small amount of time each day to focus on you and your well-being. If you are someone that needs to actually add this time to your calendar, do it! It is so important to make yourself a priority, so do not let distractions take away from this time. We serve our campus communities within our professional lives, so we need to serve ourselves in order to best serve our community!
- Utilize this time to rest & relax, pray or meditate, reflect on your day, week, month, year, and practice mindfulness.
- Attend the NODAC 2020 Authors Event on Thursday, October 29, from 12:30-2:00 p.m. CST! All registered conference attendees will receive free ebook copies of the books featured during this authors event. Come hear from the authors themselves about their books that might make a great first-year read for your campus or might be a book you’re interested in reading and learning from on your own!
- Check out the latest issue of the Journal of College Orientation, Transition and Retention (JCOTR). NODA members have access to reading JCOTR online, and this is a great opportunity for you to read up on current research in our field.
- Create a personal budget and utilize free resources online to help.
- Travel has been minimal this year due to COVID, so why not enjoy a virtual vacation where you will save money and stay sfe?
- Spruce up your workspace! Having a de-cluttered desk and working area is a small way you can make a big environmental wellness improvement in your life.
- Pat yourself on the back - you already engaged in environmental wellness by not having to fly/drive/travel to NODAC 2020! Our virtual conference allowed us all to attend from afar and cut back on our carbon footprint.